Resignation

2 Jun

Ellie Robinson

Forest Gate North councillor Ellie Robinson has resigned to take up a new post working for Sadiq Khan at City Hall.

She explained her decision in an email to her fellow councillors this morning:

Dear friends,
As some of you may have heard yesterday I handed in my resignation from the council. It has been a very hard decision, and I feel very emotional about it – it has been an absolute honour representing Forest Gate North over the last six years. As you will know, I have been working for Sadiq Khan over the past year and following the excellent result a few weeks ago I have been offered the opportunity to work for him as his Senior Advisor at City Hall. This will be a great opportunity to help deliver everything we campaigned for – affordable housing, a fares freeze, cleaner air and much more. However, the role is politically restricted which means I am no longer legally allowed to continue as a local councillor.
It has been a privilege being a councillor in Newham and working with you. The support, guidance and advice I have received over the past few years has helped shape my world view, and the passion and dedication I have seen from officers to the residents of Newham has been inspiring and humbling.
Finally, I am grateful to have been able to work with Labour councillors and a Mayor who believe in the power of democracy. They believe that persuading, listening and talking to people wins elections, and winning elections is what gives you the mandate and resource to change the world. Ultimately, if we didn’t have a Labour Council in Newham we wouldn’t be cracking down on bad landlords (we had the first licensing scheme in the country), we wouldn’t have free school meals for all our kids (and music lessons, and theatre tickets), we wouldn’t have agreed plans earlier this year to build 800 homes for homeless families and we wouldn’t have MoneyWorks (affordable credit and advice for those in financial difficulty). To name but a few things. Equally, if we didn’t have a Conservative government we wouldn’t have the cuts to welfare, cuts to public services and a dangerous lack of house building. So the fight continues.
I know we will continue to work together to change our little corner of the world, I will just have a different hat on! I look forward to that. I will continue to be Newham’s biggest cheerleader and wish you all every success.
Warmest wishes, E

I’m not a fan of Newham’s generally useless councillors, but Ellie was a breath of fresh air when first elected in 2010: open, engaged and approachable. It was a marked contrast to her predecessor and to her fellow Forest Gate North councillors at the time. Happily, Rachel Tripp and Seyi Akiwowo have followed in the same vein. I hope whoever succeeds her will too, whichever party they represent.

No date has yet been set for the by-election to fill the vacancy.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “Resignation”

1. John McHale June 2, 2016 at 14:58 #

This begs the question of how these “bad landlords” got to multiply and flourish in Newham in the first place and how much is it costing the council tax payer to “crack down” on them?

John McHale.

________________________________

• DowntoEarth June 2, 2016 at 22:57 #

The legal powers to deal with them are relatively new.
      Council staff, notably Environmental Health Officers, had loads of evidence that was difficult to get into Court under older law.
      As for costs, there is a fee for licences, and the costs should come down after the first wave of vigorous enforcement.

2. The Polo Mint. June 2, 2016 at 16:26 #

Talking of bad landlords whats happin to Robin’s right-hand man Ahmed Noor the man who love to buy his master the £150.00 scotch bottles, and Corbett a West Ham season ticket.

• terry ball June 3, 2016 at 08:51 #

i suppose it was inevitable that this blog about ellie robinson would be contaminated with noor because she mentions unlicensed landlords which is a shame . she is a breath of fresh air to a stale old bunch of councillors who i doubt could get a job anywhere let alone working in city hall with the new mayor ,so we have in new jobs khan desai and robinson all together which i hope will give us a leg up in newham. i wonder who will be the contender for ellies place in the by election will it be a contest or is it a done deal ?i hope we are not going to get another husband and wife situation going on here again ,we have had to many couples who get in then sit there for years draining the pot and doing nothing except holiday abroad or buy more properties . ps does anyone know whats happening with noor is it another by election ?.

3. Martin Warne June 3, 2016 at 09:33 #

I agree re Ellie, as I said in my post. Given the plum nature of the seat I expect there will be plenty of interest in being the Labour candidate. The party in FGN is pretty strong so I doubt the leadership will have much chance if they try to stitch it up. And after what happened in Boleyn they would probably think twice before trying that again.

• terry ball June 7, 2016 at 18:09 #

what was the deal in boleyn ?

• Martin Warne June 7, 2016 at 18:23 #

The shortlist had just two people on: the wife of a sitting councillor & mayoral advisor, and a middle class white woman. Led by an outraged Obaid Khan, members rejected the obvious leadership stitch-up & selected Veronica Oakeshott.

4. Alan C June 8, 2016 at 11:43 #

It would appear that Ms Robinson actually believes the stuff Robin Wales brags about.

She tells us among other things that Newham “had the first licensing scheme in the country” to tackle bad landlords.

Not true. Salford in 2007 introduced the first such scheme, followed by Blackburn and Gateshead and Sedgefield in 2008 and many others since. The Newham scheme started on Jan 1 2013.

(What is different about the Newham scheme is that it covers the whole of the borough. The other local authorities chose to target specific areas rather than set up a blanket scheme.)

She doesn’t mention whether or not she is proud that Newham is selling 1200 Council properties under its NewShare programme when it is in the midst of a housing crisis and exporting homeless families all over the country.

• terry ball June 9, 2016 at 15:18 #

selling 1200 properties ,i thought this was the council that hates right to buy ,so they can sell them no doubt .